English Conversation Practice – the pub quiz!
In this class, you’ll learn about British culture, and a typical pub quiz. This is something you can try for some fantastic English conversation practice when you travel to the UK. For a FREE gift, visit our homepage www.learnhotenglish.com
If you travel to the UK, and visit a pub, you might find yourself in the middle of a pub quiz. But what is it?
A pub quiz
Is a game with questions. It often takes place during the week. Friends form teams of about four players, and each player pays £1 to play.
This money becomes the prize for the winning team. At a popular quiz this can be over £100! Most people do the quiz for a bit of fun. It’s a great opportunity to have some fun and meet people!
There are usually four or five rounds of questions. Typical questions are on topics such as sport, cinema, TV, music, history, geography and science.
Here are some typical pub quiz questions (answers below):
1. Mont Blanc is the highest mountain in which European mountain range?
2. Who won the football World Cup in 2010?
3. What’s the first name of Spanish painter Dalí?
You’re going to watch a short video with 5 pub quiz questions. Watch it once, and see if you can answer them.
Here are the answers:
- What was John Lennon’s band called before he was in The Beatles? The Quarreymen
- Which musician was referred to as The King of Pop? Michael Jackson
- How long is an Olympic swimming pool? 50 metres
- What was Ringo Starr’s original name? Richard Starkey
- What nationality was explorer Ferdinand Magellan? Portuguese
Look at this question from the quiz:
- What was John Lennon’s band called?
Do you know what tense this is? Yes, that’s it, the past passive. We form this tense with was / were + a past participle. For example:
- The painting was sold for $400,000.
- They were given a new computer.
- She was told the answer.
For more English to help you on your Travels go here!